Monday 18 March 2013

Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45 Review and Pictures

Remember my post about the Paula's Choice high tea that happened last year? Now I'm back with a couple of review posts of the products that I was given to try. I've tried these products over the course of at least 2 months before seriously evaluating them, in order to write better and more thorough reviews!

First up, we have Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45.


This is the highest SPF sunscreen available on the Paula's Choice Singapore website, and with an SPF of 45, it's more than adequate for daily use. It also claims to "provide antioxidant-enriched UVA and UVB protection without leaving a greasy or waxy film on skin", is very water-resistant and can be used on the entire body (including the face).


According to the ingredients list, there are 5 active agredients (Homosalate, Oxybenzone, Octisalate, Avobenzone and Octocrylene). The rest of the ingredients are listed under "Inactive Ingredients". There are two antioxidant ingredients (Retinyl Palmitate and Tocopheryl Acetate/vitamin E) which appear fairly near the top of the "Inactive Ingredients" list (9th and 11th respectively).

I like that under the "Uses" section of the packaging, it is stated that the product "retains SPF for up to 80 minutes of activity in water or while perspiring". It's very helpful to know how often to apply sunscreen throughout the day if you're swimming or doing other types of sports.

Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45 also claims to be colour and fragrance-free, and I'm glad to say that it is! This is the sunscreen on my hand, unblended:


After some blending out:


I like that there's no white cast on my skin when it's blended out. I also like that it doesn't leave a white cast on my face, and is perfectly non-comedogenic (pore clogging) because it did not break me out.

What I didn't really like was the texture of the sunscreen. While it claimed to be non-greasy and suitable for oily/combination skin, it felt rather greasy on my face. It felt fine on my body, but the second I applied it to my face (I have oily/combination skin), it looked a little oily and did not blend out to a matte finish, unlike some other sunscreens for oily/combination skin. I noticed that after a few hours, the oiliness had increased, causing my face to appear slightly oilier than usual. It is fairly water-resistant though, staying on my skin throughout the day until I washed up at night.

The price point of S$36.00 for 148ml on Paula's Choice Singapore lies within the range of the prices of drugstore sunscreens, but as I didn't quite like the feel of it on my face, I can only recommend it for use on the face of people with normal skin (as opposed to oily/combination skin) as it is non-comedogenic, colour and fragrance-free. Use on the body is perfectly fine too.

I must admit that I was rather disappointed given the hype surrounding the brand and Paula's claims that her products are 100% guaranteed. Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45 is definitely not "non-greasy", especially for use on oily/combination skin, and given that this huge claim has not been fulfilled, I will be more cautious about the claims of her other products and books.

Have you tried Paula's Choice products? Any opinions on them?


Let's Break It Down

Product name: Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 45
Product type: Sunscreen (face and body)
Amount of product: 5 fl. oz. / 148ml
Price per product: S$36.00
Comments: High SPFF, non-comedogenic, greasy on my face, colour and fragrance-free, inexpensive, multi-tasking (can be used on face and body), UVA and UVB protection, meant for oily/combination skin
Where to buy: Paula's Choice Singapore
To buy or not to buy: Given that this product does not live up to its basic claim of being non-greasy on oily/combination skin, I will have to say no unless it's for use on the body. But considering the antioxidant properties of the ingredients, and number of active ingredients for sun protection, perhaps those with normal skin could try it on their face.

Product Approved 2/5


Disclaimer: I received this product for review. My opinions are completely honest and 100% my own. No compensation was received for this review.

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .