Saturday 30 March 2013

Beauty Blogger Tag: 32 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Me!

I'm been so swamped with essay-writing (it's that time of the semester) that it's been virtually impossible to do much over here, dear readers. Got a really delayed post on Jindie Nails Swoon and Zomboy that I haven't posted up because I haven't got the perfect swatches yet. Here's a sneak peek I posted a few days ago:



I hope to post the full review post soon! Sigh so many posts lined up but no time right now.

Anyway, I was recently tagged by the lovely Miss Rusty to do this little meme. I figured it wouldn't take up too much time and would be a welcome break from writing long, tedious essays, so here goes!

1. Is your hair naturally curly or straight?

Definitely straight. It's so straight that a number of friends have asked whether I've rebonded it before.


You'd be surprised to find out that I've never rebonded or dyed my hair before (gasp!). I know it's really common to do so, but I'm afraid it will change my hair texture (fine strands and smooth) so I've avoided it. Maybe I'll do it once my hair starts greying!

2. What's your natural hair colour?

It's usually dark brown in the shade and has streaks of golden brown under the sun. According to the doctor, it's because my blood circulation is poor and not enough blood is getting to my hair o_o

3. Do you dye it yourself or go to a salon?

^ See 1. I have never dyed or highlighted my hair before!

4. Do you wear the same style every day or do you change it?

I love playing switcharoo and switching up my style depending on the occasion. For casual wear, I usually just throw on a dress that doesn't require ironing (I'm a lazy person, now you know). For smart casual/formal wear, right now I'm into pretty pastels, floral print and flowy maxi dresses.


I can also do edgy, it really depends on my mood/the occasion/the look I'm going for at the moment.


5. Do you do your own mani/pedi or go to a salon?

I prefer to do my own nails because I blog about nail polish and know the techniques of nail polish painting. I don't claim to be an expert, but I can do a pretty decent job of painting a colour + some nail art. I don't like the idea of spending money to get others to do something I can do at home!


6. How often do you change your nail polish?

It really depends. Sometimes I can go for a week without changing or even wearing nail polish. I like to let my nails "breathe" after swatching and reviewing polishes, so I'd say about once a week or once in two weeks, including days when I'm not wearing polish.

7. Do you polish your toes in the winter or just the summer?

I suppose this question isn't really relevant for me because I live in Singapore, where it's summer all year round. I don't have the habit of polishing my toes very frequently! Not sure why, but I think it's because I'm annoyed at how quickly it chips when I'm wearing covered shoes.

8. How long does it take for you to put on your make up?

About 30 minutes to 1 hour, or 20 minutes if I'm in a rush. I usually spend a long time getting the eyeliner right. It's the most important part of my make up routine now as I have single eyelids and tend to look a little "sleepy" without eyeliner.

9. What do you do first, face or eyes?

Face first, of course. Here's my make up routine: Naruko Narcissus Defense BB Sunscreen -> Bourjois Flower Perfection Foundation -> Clinique Airbrush Concealer -> Revlon ColorStay Eye Crayon -> Silky Girl Brow pencil -> Max Factor Cream blush -> Mentholatum Fragrance Free Lip Balm -> Lip gloss/lipstick of my choice (current fave is L'Oreal Shine Caress in Lolita)

The last step for me would be to check if there are any other areas that need concealing (usually my undereye area) and then pat on some The Balm TimeBalm for additional coverage. I also sometimes swipe a dash of Guerlain Meteorites for a glowy, photogenic look and dab silver eyeshadow in the corners of my eyes for a doe-eyed effect.

10. Do you "collect" make up or just buy what you need when you need it?

A bit of both. I do collect some pretty looking pieces of make up, but usually do research on the products first. Like other women, I'm also suckered into buying prettily packaged make up, and sometimes they don't suit me. There are a few perennial favourites of mine that I need and will buy again and again (e.g. Revlon ColorStay Eye Crayon).

11. How often do you wear false lashes?

Hardly. I think it's quite a hassle and I'm afraid constant use of eyelash glue would cause my lashes to fall out/be pulled off. I've only ever worn falsies twice: once was to review the Stella Double Flex Brighten Up eyelashes (which are very amazing and natural, by the way) and once was for some family function.

12. Do you do a full face of make up every day?

Not at all, in fact most days I walk around with only BB sunscreen on! I'm a big believer of letting my skin rest and since I have oily/combination skin that easily breaks out, I try to minimise the amount of time with make up on so that I can maintain my skin condition. The exception would be when I was interning for a few months - I wore make up to work every day.

13. Do you wear make up when you are home alone, or with family?

Nope, I don't. I like to let my skin rest and have bare skin for as much time as possible. I wear make up mostly to take good pictures, and give a good impression to others when I'm out. My family knows me inside out and I feel comfortable with bare skin around them.

14. Will you leave the house without make up?

I'm not sure if this counts, but I usually only wear BB sunscreen and concealer (if I have pimples) when I'm out, both for sun protection and minimal coverage. I don't usually wear a full face of make up unless it's for a function or maybe an outing with friends (where cameras are involved, haha).

15. How many high-end products do you have?

Not many at all - don't have the finances yet, haha. I have Guerlain Meteorites, a Dior nail polish and a Chanel nail polish, does that count?

16. Do you plan your OOTD every night or decide when you are getting dressed?

It depends. If I'm going for a big function the next morning/day, I'll plan my outfit the night before. If not, I usually just grab something based on my mood that day.

17. How often do you change your handbag?

I change it to match my outfits aka all the time! For school I usually have an A4 sized canvas bag to dump all my stuff in.

18. What time do you get up and go to sleep?

I usually get up at 8am if I have school in the weekdays, and 10-11am if I don't/if it's the weekends. I'm a night-owl and sleep at about 2-3am sometimes. 1am is probably my earliest, but I'm trying to change this bad habit and sleep earlier for better skin!

19. How often or when do you work out?

I... don't. Oops.

20. Left-handed or right-handed?

Right-handed.

21. How tall are you?

About 156 or 157cm the last time I checked.

22. Do you speak a foreign language?

Yes, I can speak French as I've learnt it for 4 years or so. I can also speak English and Chinese. I find it funny that Chinese is supposed to be my mother tongue but I can't speak it as well as English.

23. How many pets do you have?

I don't have any though I'd love a cat/dog/both.

24. How often are you on Blogger (or your other blog platform?)

All the time! To check stats, edit posts, edit layout etc. I don't have much of a life outside blogging, hahaha!

27. How did you come up with your blog name?

I had just started to learn French at the time I set up my blog, and couldn't think of an English blog name. I wanted it to revolve around the idea of "looking/searching for beauty" (which is what I do in life), but I thought it sounded better in French. So Cherchez (la) Beauté was born! Oh and everything sounds better in French ;)

28. What kind of camera do you use for photographs?

I use my beloved Fujifilm X10, which I got last year after much consideration. I didn't want to get a DSLR (even though the photo quality and DOF would be better) because it would be quite heavy to carry around. My X10 is just the right size, and I love the way she looks. I love Xanthe <3


30. What is your favourite colour?

I love many different colours, but I'd have to go with red if pressed to make a choice. I think it's because when I was much younger I always thought of red as my favourite colour. Red, the colour of passion, life, blood, love, anger... I suppose it shows what kind of person I am - never lacking in spirit!

31. Do you swear?

If you mean "damn", "bloody" and "shit" (mild swear words), I do that very frequently. Other swear words not so much. I cuss more when I'm in a high state of anger/anxiety/annoyance etc, as most people do.

32. What are you doing with the rest of your day?

I'm doing my essay, as mentioned right at the start. The life of a college student, sigh.

Whew finally done! I tag anyone who wants to do this tag and also AletheaMag and Shirley. Going for dinner now then back to my essay. Hope you're having a great weekend with the Easter break and all :)


Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .