Sunday 5 August 2012

Mentholatum Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel and Fragrance Free Lip Balm Review and Pictures

About a month ago I posted a review of Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm which contained a list of "Myths About Lip Balm and Lip Balm Addiction", based on research that I did regarding the topic and my own experiences as a former lip balm addict. (Sounds bizarre, but there is actually such an addiction!)

By chance or irony, I was recently contacted to review Mentholatum Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel and Lip Pure Fragrance Free Lip Balm.


It was a tough decision, because I had already denounced the frequent use of lip balm in my previous post, and I don't want to be a hypocrite or a sucker for free products. However, I decided to review these products because one of them is fragrance-free (Burt's Bees Honey isn't fragrance-free, but the scent is of beeswax) and one is a lip gel with food-grade ingredients despite not being fragrance-free.

Some information on the Mentholatum Lip Pure range:



Mentholatum Lip Pure Fragrance Free Lip Balm


For this product, I was keen on testing how "fragrance-free" it was. I don't like products that claim they are fragrance-free but end up smelling strange anyway. I'm glad to say that Lip Pure Fragrance Free Lip Balm is really free from fragrance and does not smell strange. It comes in sturdy little tube, resembling a bullet of lipstick. I love the simple and functional design and it's just the perfect size to pop into my handbag for a quick spot of hydration for my lips.


Lip Pure Fragrance Free Lip Balm uses a natural beeswax formulation and 100% food grade ingredients to protect and condition lips. It contains Shea Butter Oil, Almond Oil, Aloe Extract, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E and Grape Seed Oil, ingredients that are known for their moisturising properties. Best of all, it's free of fragrances, colorants and preservatives, all of which I avoid when choosing a lip balm, as they may be drying for the lips.

This lip balm went on very smoothly (much smoother than Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm) and I could feel it work its magic within minutes of application. My lips felt soft, supple and moisturised, and the best thing is that I never felt the need to smack or lick my lips (which would dry them out) because there is no fragrance in this lip balm. I've used lip balms from Mentholatum before, and I have to say, this is the most moisturising one I've used yet - in fact, this may the most moisturising lip balm I've ever used!

There's everything to love about it and nothing to hate, so Lip Pure fragrance Free Lip Balm has taken it's place as my HG Lip Balm (gasp!), replacing my much beloved Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm. I prefer the Lip Pure Fragrance Free Lip Balm over Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm mainly because it doesn't smell of beeswax and goes on more smoothly. The only caveat is the price of S$7.90, which is significantly higher than the prices I'm used to for lip balms. 


Mentholatum Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel


In case you were wondering, that is a jar of honey behind the Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel. I love honey and honey-lemon drinks especially when I'm having a sore throat. Here's a tip: If you're having a sore throat, pour a glass of water and add about 3 tablespoons of honey. Next, squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the glass and stir until all the honey has been dissolved. Chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes and you have the perfect drink to soothe your sore throat!


I like that Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel comes in a squeeze tube with a slant-tip applicator - makes it so much easier to apply to the lips and is more hygienic than lip balm in a tub.


The ingredients used in Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel are similar to those in Lip Pure Fragrance Free, except that Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel contains a honey lemon fragrance ("Flavor"), but at least it's made of 100% food grade ingredients, ensuring that the fragrance won't irritate sensitive skin. I loved the honey lemon scent (sounds a wee bit hypocritical of me) as it really smells like my favourite honey-lemon drink, but it fades away after a while. However, as it's a Lip Gel with the consistency of a lip gloss, I did not feel the urge to lick my lips (who licks lip gloss??).

Another amazing thing that I found out about this product is...


Yup, you wouldn't have guessed it - it is shimmery! The lovely golden shimmers in this Lip Gel are very fine and not gritty at all, so no worries about that. I love that the shimmers add a nice, warm glow to my lips and can be worn on top of other lip products such as lip sticks for added hydration and shine!


All in all, I'd say Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel is a very appealing lip product, and the price of S$7.90 is very reasonable for a moisturising, smooth-applying lip gloss with beautifully fine gold shimmers.


Final Comments

Both lip products are extremely moisturising and fantastic for daily use - so much so that they've earned a place in all my handbags, haha. I loved that both lip products are made of 100% food grade ingredients, meaning that it's perfectly safe if you ingest some of it - just don't go consuming any of it (especially the wonderful smelling Honey Lemon Lip Gel!). They are currently available for S$7.90 each at Watsons, Guardian, Fairprice and all major supermarkets and departmental stores.


Let's Break It Down

Product Name: Mentholatum Lip Pure Honey Lemon Lip Gel and Mentholatum Fragrance Free Lip Balm
Product type: Lip Gel and Lip Balm, respectively
Amount of product: Lip Gel (12g); Lip Balm (4g)
Price per product: S$7.90 each
Comments: Very moisturising, 100% food grade ingredients, affordable, good and hygienic packaging, shimmery (lip gel), my HG Lip Balm (lip balm)
Where to buy: Watsons, Guardian, Fairprice and all major supermarkets and departmental stores
To buy or not to buy: YES, for all the above mentioned reasons.

Product Approved 5/5

Disclaimer: I received this product for review. My opinions are completely honest and 100% my own. No compensation was received for this review.

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .