Saturday 9 April 2011

Kanebo Coffret D'Or AA Rouge PK 246 Swatches and Review


Today I'll review Kanebo's Coffret D'Or AA Rouge (in PK 246), which has received great reviews when it was released along with the rest of the Coffret D'Or Spring Collection in December 2010. 

I rarely buy lipsticks, reason being the fact that they are usually more drying than lip glosses due to the amount of pigment they have, and also because they are usually more expensive (and long-lasting for that matter). I like to experiment with make up and am a sucker for glossy, shiny stuff, so glosses are my go-to for lip products.

But Kanebo's Coffret D'Or AA Rouge completely changed my mind! This is the "Aqua Rouge" that is supposed to be extremely moisturising because of its "hydrating essence" while providing a sheer lip colour that allows your natural lip colour to show through. After reading the reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I got my AA Rouge in PK 246, a sheer pink shade that's a slightly cool toned bright pink.

You've seen how it looks from the outside, and here's a look at the top of its cap: simple, decorative design reminiscent of a shuriken. Heh.


Here it is uncapped.


Swatched on my arm.


It's very sheer when swatched, and I even had to give it two swipes for the colour to show up properly.

And finally, on my lips.


Isn't it just stunning? If you expand the pictures to full size, you'd be able to see the tiny flecks of multi-coloured blue, pink and gold glitter sparkling away. They really do look lovely when put together and give a really lush look and luxurious feel.

I have absolutely no problem with the texture, which really lives up to the "Aqua Rouge" label. It's soft, moisturising and hydrating, completely unlike other "hydrating" lipsticks that suck the moisture out of my lips. I remember my first aqua lipstick from In2it. After that horrible experience with the moisture-sucking properties of lipsticks like those, I never tried another one. But AA Rouge here is clearly a winner in terms of texture. I've read that the "R" range of AA Rouge is less hydrating due to the presence of more pigment, so do consider that when you're deciding between the "P" and "R" range.

Colour-wise, it's on the sheer side, so you may have to layer it to get the colour to show up a bit. Apart from that, PK246 is a really natural colour and makes your lips glow :) Another plus point is that it's scentless, so no worries about a cloying floral scent that will put you off wearing it.

As for its staying power, it performs only as well as normal lip glosses, meaning that it won't stay on after a meal or a drink. I couldn't resist smacking my lips together when I was wearing this lippie though, so maybe that contributed to it fading away quite fast. 

I tried to layer my golden Majolica Majorca Rouge Majex (pictured below) on top of it for even more bling! Check it out:


Sparkly!

Check out the entire Coffret D'or Spring Collection 2010 too. Do tell if you found other rave-worthy products from that collection :)


The Verdict

Price: USD25.99 on Ebay

+ Extremely hydrating
+ Glossy, sparkly finish is that just as shiny with many lipglosses
+ Allows your natural lip colour to shine through

- Poor staying power
- Slightly more expensive for an almost lipgloss-like lipstick


For it's lovely texture, shine and most of all, hydrating properties, I give AA Rouge an A+ 5/5 :) But due to it's poor staying power and the fact that it is supposed to be a lipstick, I'll have to go with 4.5/5 overall, though I highly encourage you to try it out!

Overall: ♥♥♥♥-
Product Packaging: ♥♥♥ (functional, nothing spectacular)
Effectiveness: ♥♥♥♥♥
Repurchase value: ♥♥♥♥

Rachel loves sharing about the beautiful things in life from different perspectives. She writes on beauty and lifestyle in Cherchez Beauté , and does more abstract stuff on Antelune . When she's not writing, she's playing with her dog Holly, doodling and reading fiction. You can follow her on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .